Here’s a Patently Bizarre Tank Suit Ad from 1970
From time to time, we stumble upon a photograph from the past that simply defies logic. Take this tank suit ad published by Condé Nast in 1970, for example…
WHAT WE DO KNOW:
• The Title: “Man Modeling Tank Suit”
• The Photographer: Mark Patiky, of “Miles Davis Lounging on Bed of Skins with Unidentified Female” fame.
• The Corbis Description: “A male model lounges on a beach in front of a jeep and a police officer wears a pair of aviator sunglasses, striped tank-suit with a high scoop neck made of ribbed acrylic fiber, by Drummond.”
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW:
• What a tank suit is.
• Why there is no mention in the Corbis description of a woman soft-shoeing down the beach in an evening gown.
• Whether this is a real police officer, since the only town he looks to be serving and protecting is Sodomyville.
We welcome your thoughts on the matter.
- — C. Brian Smith