The 10 Commandments of the Floral Shirt
It’s safe to say that the floral shirt is having a moment.
We’ve been seeing them pop up everywhere lately—even in our spring must-haves. But like any loud pattern, there’s a fine line between looking stylish and looking like your great-aunt’s couch. Luckily, we’ve put together this comprehensive guide…
Behold, the 10 Commandments of the Floral Shirt…
1. The Size of Thy Flora Matters. For the most part, we like to stick to the micro-florals, like the patterns popularized by British shop Liberty. But there are always exceptions to the rule. (Again, please see: haves, must.)
2. So Doth Thy Shirt Size. Speaking of sizing… always heed the first rule of shirting: it’s only going to look as good as it fits.
3. Wear Thy Flora in One Place. Please keep it to one item of floral clothing at a time. You’re not a bucolic meadow, you’re a man. Remember that.
4. Ye, Remembereth. The delicate nature of flowers shouldn’t deter you from wearing them on your shirt. Wear your floral shirt with pride and gusto.
5. Bewareth the Hibiscus. Sure, most Hawaiian shirts are technically floral-patterned, but that’s a whole nother can of worms. Stick to the non-Margaritaville end of the spectrum.
6. Shorten Thy Sleeves. The same way flora thrives in the warm sunlight, so does its namesake shirt—so get a short-sleeved one for maximum summeriness.
7. And a Blazer Wouldn’t Hurteth. Don’t be afraid to dress up your floral shirt—at the office retreat, a semiformal garden party or an especially bohemian summer wedding.
8. Nor Wouldeth a Tie. Choose the right shirt—preferably something muted with a spread collar—and you can even go full suit-and-tie with it.
9. Or Keepeth It Casual. The weekends were made for floral shirts.
10. For What, Turneth Down. A loud pattern done right commands the respect it deserves… as long as you’re following all of the commandments.
- — Najib Benouar