The 78 Greatest Turtlenecks of All Time
It’s safe to say that the turtleneck is experiencing a renaissance.
Now, we won’t take all the credit for it, but we did tell the world to to stop fearing the turtleneck way back when.
And we think it worked. Just take a look at the photos coming in from Florence, Milan or Paris this month, and you’re bound to see a marked rise in turtlenecks—on and off the runways.
So, in our grand tradition of exhaustive garment journalism, we’ve compiled a list of every single greatest moment in turtlenecking ever... That’s right, all 78 of them...
1. Ernest Hemingway’s Papa-neck sweater.
2. Elvis Presley’s turtleneck fit for a king.
3-6. The Beatles’ quad-fecta of turtlenecks.
7. James Dean’s brooding turtleneck.
8. The Gorton’s Fisherman’s seafaring sweater.
9. Velma’s sleuthing turtleneck.
10-13. Justin Timberlake et al. (minus Joey Fatone).
14. Archer’s tactical-neck.
15. Britney Spears’s pleather-neck.
16. Steve McQueen’s turtleneck in Bullitt.
17. Ron Burgundy’s turtleneck of choice.
18. Johnny Carson’s red lounger.
19. The neck George Clooney turtled into.
20. And Derek Zoolander did the same.
21-25. Is this the sexiest amount of turtlenecking all in one place, ever?
26. Or is this? Don Draper might have the edge here.
27. Errol Flynn mastered wearing the nonchalant-neck.
28. A master class on the Euro-neck, courtesy of Mr. Fassbender.
29. Mike Meyers may have invented it.
30. Pierce Brosnan has a license to turtleneck.
31. So does Sean Connery.
32. Audrey Hepburn’s elegant turtleneck.
33. Mick Jagger has always had turtlenecks like Jagger.
34. Johnny Depp + turtleneck + puppy = adorable.
35. Randy Quaid’s turtleneck dickey in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
36. Michael Caine’s in The Italian Job.
37. Mort’s red number in Bazooka Joe.
38. Bill Murray goes full turtleneck in Scrooged.
39. Robert Redford. Enough said.
40. Who’s the man that would risk his (turtle) neck for his brother man? Shaft.
41. Rick Astley is never going to give his turtleneck up.
42. Rudy was always the best dressed in Fat Albert’s gang.
43. Samuel Beckett and his literary turtleneck.
44. Hamilton Swan’s persnickety turtleneck in Best in Show.
45-6. Spock and Kirk’s turtlenecks were out of this world.
47. This is the Steve Jobs of turtlenecks.
48. Tiffany redefined the turtleneck in the ’80s.
49. Then the log lady from Twin Peaks did in the ’90s.
50-71. Every turtleneck in Love Actually (yes, someone counted, and there are 22, all of which can be found here).
72. Charles Bronson’s badass turtleneck.
73. Jack Nicholson’s turtleneck just wanted an egg salad sandwich in Five Easy Pieces.
74-75. Woody Allen and Diane Keaton’s BFF friendship turtlenecks.
76-77. Simon and Garfunkel’s soulful turtlenecks.
78. And finally, the turtleneck from this Irish Spring commercial.
- Kempt Staff